With the cooler weather right around the corner, fall hot chocolate and baking may be in your future. While you may be excited and ready for the fall, is your smile? It can be difficult to keep up with your healthy dental habits during the holidays with the influx of sugar and sweet treats that are around. With these 5 tips you can stay ahead of the decay and decrease your risk of needing restorative procedures.
1. Brush and floss every day at the same time. The more consistent you can be, the better off you are.
2. Brush after consuming sweet treats.
3. Carry a travel toothbrush, toothpaste and floss to brush and floss after that high carbohydrate meal.
4. Drink water. Having a dry mouth not only increases the risk of bacteria in your mouth and the longer you are dehydrated the greater the risk for decay.
5. Consume fruits and vegetables instead of treats high in carbohydrates, this will help ensure food is removed from the surface of the teeth.
Enjoy the fall weather, pumpkin drinks and the colors of the leaves with a healthy smile that lasts a lifetime. For more information, contact Dr. Judy Strutz and keep your smile healthy.