Oral cancer can happen anywhere in your mouth: the throat, tongue, your lips or inside your cheek. It’s important to get an oral cancer screening on a regular basis in order to ensure that you keep your smile cancer-free. Here are 5 signs, symptoms and other facts about oral cancer you may not know.
1. Oral cancer in the beginning stages can be difficult to detect and you may not see anything out of the ordinary.
2. More individuals over the age of 40 get oral cancer and twice as many men, but oral cancer can impact women and younger individuals, especially if they have a family history of cancer, chew or use tobacco or have jobs where they work outdoors.
3. Oral cancer impacts 90% of people who use tobacco. The impact of cancer may depend on how much tobacco a person uses and how often.
4. A decrease in consuming healthy foods can increase your risk of oral cancer
5. Oral cancer on the lips can be caused by sun exposure. To protect against this, wear a hat or stay out of the sun for long periods of time.
Your oral health is critical to the health of the rest of your body. For a complete and comprehensive oral cancer screening, contact Dr. Judy Strutz and her team today!