Sleep apnea is not something to mess around with. It can be deadly if left untreated. Or it can cause several nights in a row where you toss and turn. You may feel you are losing your mind, be unclear, confused or struggle to stay awake at work. Dr. Strutz says, “This is probably what you do know, now here are seven things you may not know about sleep apnea.”
1. You can be fit and still have sleep apnea. The facts are misleading and have lead to beliefs that only individuals who are overweight are impacted by sleep apnea, this not the case.
2. Women and men can be impacted by sleep apnea. Research supports that more women are impacted by sleep apnea that goes untreated then men.
3. Women who are menopausal are more likely to have symptoms of sleep apnea then other adults.
4. Sleep apnea can cause heart disease, stroke, weight problems and feelings of never getting enough sleep.
5. When sleep apnea is left untreated it can lead to the loss of your job or lack of promotions, problems with working, memory, and even long-term problems with relationships.
6. Sleep apnea can feel similar to depression. You may go days feeling listless, sad and overwhelmed by the smallest challenge.
7. Sleep apnea can increase your risk of falling asleep while driving.
None of these consequences have to impact you, get help today. Contact Dr. Judith Strutz and her team.